It’s hard to believe, but I’ve been friends with Madison, WI rock band Sunspot for over 10 years! Since tomorrow they are releasing their 5th full-length album, Singularity, I thought I would post some of my favorite pictures I’ve taken of Mike, Ben and Wendy over the last decade. Out of over 8000 (!) that I’ve taken, here are 130 ordered chronologically that are my favorites. Check it.
Almost as crazy as attending one of their live shows is the number of digital cameras I’ve owned over this same time frame…it’s pretty nuts:
- 1999-2001 Largan Lmini 350 - 0.6 MegaPixel - this thing was terrible in most every way, but it was digital, which is what a digital guy needs. Yeah, 0.6MP.
- 2001-2003 Sony FD-90 - 1.6MP - Great optics, but sloooow camera. Made you slow down, but almost too much. I still have some pictures I really like from this camera. If it only had 10x the sensor quality.
- 2003-2005 Olympus 5050z - 5.0MP - My first prosumer camera, this taught me the photo basics, mainly aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
- 2005-2006 Canon Digital Rebel - 6.3MP - The first in a crazy-upgrade cycle of Rebels.
- 2006-2007 Canon Digital Rebel XT - 8.0MP - I started selling stock photos and the upgrades in both lenses and cameras now were ‘funded’. It’s nice when your hobbies pay for themselves.
- 2007-2008 Canon Digital Rebel XTi - 10.1MP - Sensor cleaning = good! A great camera, I only really upgraded because in stock photography it helps to have higher MegaPixel for increased size for increased $$.
- 2008-2009 Canon Digital Rebel XSi - 12.2MP - While still a very capable camera, I’ve vowed this is the last Rebel I’d buy… the 50D (or 60D) or 5D MarkII product line is next for me, but I’ve been investing in lenses lately.
- I had a Casio Exilm EX-Z57 which I used only for a couple of shots at shows (since I had the Rebel then). What’s most interesting about this camera, is it is what Wendy uses for her “Drummercam” photos!
Finally, I also have a video of Sunspot from their March 2009 show at the Frequency. They are playing their song “Neanderthal” and they segue into some Megadeth.
It’s shot with my Canon Vixia HF100 HD video camera. It’s flash based, small with a great quality picture, even in low light.
Popularity: 13% [?]Posted under music, photos, reviews, shows