I’ve been blog-slacking for awhile, so thought I’d put out my picks for top 10 rock albums from 2008. While primarily indie bands, there are a few big-boys on here as well. I reviewed some of these earlier, but many are ones I’ve only had for a short while. My picks for 2008 (in alphabetical order):
- Bloc Party – Intimacy – A varied album, it reminds me of Chuck Mosely era Faith No More with a post-9/11 twist (whatever that means). I listened to this album a lot in NYC, so that might have something to do with it. It could be the soundtrack for your life, depending on how your day is going.
- Flight of the Conchords – Self Titled – The TV show is great, and the songs are solid. Combine the two and listening to these songs always put a smile on my face. Season 2 starts in a few weeks!
- F**ed Up – The Chemistry of Common Life – Back in college, I went to many punk shows featuring bands that wished they sounded like this. You know what I mean? The sweaty club with the worst sounding PA, college kids moshing, skinheads doing that scary half-pogo, half I-want-to-kill-you dance. Then the show is over, you buy the CD and it’s terrible, but reminds you of the night. What if that CD wasn’t terrible? Put good production and catchy songs with the crazy, screaming, sweaty-fat-guy atmosphere and you are Fucked Up.
- Guns and Roses – Chinese Democracy – Really, this is on the list? Before you run off, there is enough here worth a few listens. Pretend you never heard of them and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
- The Mars Volta – The Bedlam in Goliath – It’s weird and features songs written while under the influence of Ouija boards. You either like this type of music or hate it. I like it.
- Metallica – Death Magnetic – Another comeback album, this reestablished Metallica with at least the ability to play for 9 minutes straight. They do it so well, too.
- Portishead – Third – listening to this album a lot = looming depression. Such is Portishead, but Third (their 3rd studio album, clever!) takes the creepy movie soundtrack stuff to another level. Turn off all the lights and listen to this if you dare!
- Protest the Hero – Fortress – Kapow! I’m noticing the bands on this list are either weird or punch you in the face. This does the later, much like a hawkey slap-shot, or a case of Molson Ice. These Canadians know their metal, eh?!
- Toadies – No Deliverance – Toadies sound mad on this album–much like they’ve blown all their royalties from Possum Kingdom! They are on track though, with songs like “So Long Lovey Eyes” that if you listen while driving, will make you drive quite fast.
- TV on the Radio – Dear Science – Friends have been recommending TV on the Radio for a couple of years now, but I had trouble getting into them, until Dear Science came along. It’s now accessible enough for me (or my tastes have changed) that this album is a must from 2008. Some of the most interesting chord progressions and beats in modern rock.
There you have it, my top 10 rock albums from 2008. Ones I missed? Ones that shouldn’t be on here? Someone will probably throttle me for putting GNR on here with no Narrow Stairs – Death Cab for Cutie, but hey, that’s what comments are for.Posted under music, reviews, top 10 lists